If you've recently had a mold infestation in your home due to water damage, you're probably wondering how to properly clean and disinfect your house. Disinfecting a house after mold ensures a healthy for you and your family.
There are many misconceptions when it comes to cleaning up after mold, like whether or not we can use bleach. It's important to use certified cleaning products and follow proper procedures to make sure you don't expose yourself to health risks or cause further damage to your property. Here are some helpful tips for properly disinfecting your home post-mold infestation.
Gear Up! Wear Protective Equipment
Before you start the disinfection process, make sure to gear up and wear protective equipment. This includes gloves, respirators or masks, and goggles. Mold spores can be harmful if inhaled or come into contact with your skin or eyes, so it's important to protect yourself
Use Certified Cleaning Products
Don't rely on just any cleaning product to disinfect your home post-mold. Choose certified mold cleaning products that are specifically designed to remove mold from surfaces. These products have been tested and proven effective in killing mold and preventing its return.
Don't Use Bleach to Clean Large Areas
Although bleach is a powerful disinfectant, it's not the best solution when dealing with large areas of mold damage. Bleach can damage many surfaces and may only provide temporary relief. It's not effective in penetrating porous surfaces or materials like wood and drywall. Instead, use certified mold cleaning products or contact a professional mold remediation company.
Dry The Affected Areas
Mold thrives in damp and humid environments, so it's important to dry the affected area completely to prevent mold from regrowing. Use fans and dehumidifiers to help speed up the process and decrease humidity levels in your home.
Discard Contaminated Items
Some items, like carpets, furniture, and clothes, maybe too heavily contaminated with mold to be salvaged. These items should be discarded properly to prevent further spread of mold spores. Make sure to double-bag them and dispose of them carefully.
Clean Surfaces Thoroughly
Here are some tips to clean and disinfect a house after mold or water damage, especially for porous and non-porous surfaces:
- Wear protective gear (mask, gloves, goggles) to avoid coming into contact with mold spores.
- Use a cleaning solution of warm water and detergent to scrub the affected surfaces thoroughly.
- Rinse the area with clean water and dry it completely.
- Allow the disinfectant to sit for at least 10 minutes before wiping it off.
Consider Hiring a Mold Remediation Company
If you're unsure about how to properly clean up and disinfect a house after mold, consider hiring a professional mold remediation company. They can assess the extent of the damage and provide a plan to safely and effectively clean up all the affected areas. With professional equipment, they can get the job done right and prevent future mold growth.
Bio-One of Pittsburgh Can Help
Disinfecting your home post-mold infestation can take work. It's important to use certified cleaning products, wear protective gear, and follow proper cleaning procedures to ensure that the job is done safely and effectively. Remember to dry the affected area and consider hiring a professional mold remediation company if you're unsure about how to clean up the mold in your home.
At Bio-One of Pittsburgh, we are certified mold remediation contractors who can take care of any restoration process so you can have peace of mind knowing your home or business is safe!